Call 780.449.1196 to book an appointment.
There are many signs that a teen is using drugs and, or alcohol. However, adults need to exercise caution, and realize that sometimes teens arejust going through a tough time, what looks like one thing can be normal adolescent angst. Communication is key!
Some common signs of teen drug/alcohol abuse include:
- Laughing for no reason
- Loss of interest in activities
- Missing curfew
- Poor hygiene
- Secretive behavior
- Smell of smoke on breath or clothes
- Trouble with the law or other authority
- Unusual tiredness
- Avoiding eye contact
- Bad grades
- Bloodshot eyes
- Change in appetite
- Change in friends
- Change in interests
- Diminished personal appearance
- Drug paraphernalia, and or clothes
- Frequent hunger or “munchies”
- Increased disrespect for “house rules”
- Increased focus on alcohol, and or drugs
No matter what your teen may be facing it is important to consider finding psychological support if any of the above concerns are showing up. In particular, when a teen acts out through addiction, crime, self-harm, or threatens suicide many parents feel overwhelmed and unsure how to help their teen. Teens do tend to express their inside pain by acting out. Our adolescent therapists are good at engaging and meeting teens where they are at.