Trauma And Abuse
Having gone through a traumatic experience can bring up a variety of struggles:
• A sense of constant danger
• Feeling disconnected
• Feeling insecure
• Feeling numb
• Feeling unable to trust other people
• Feeling unsafe
• Frightening memories
• Hard time getting over pain
• Increased sense of vulnerability or feeling overexposed
• Upsetting emotions
Whether the traumatic event happened years ago or yesterday, you can heal and move on.
Traumatic experiences often involve:
• A threat to life or safety
• Any situation that leaves you feeling overwhelmed and alone can be traumatic
• May not involve physical harm.
• The more frightened and helpless you feel, the more likely you are to be traumatized.
An event will most likely lead to emotional or psychological trauma if:
• It happened in childhood
• It happened repeatedly
• It happened unexpectedly
• You were unprepared for it
• You felt powerless to prevent it
• Someone was intentionally cruel
Recovering from a traumatic event takes time. One of our psychologists can come along side of you on your healing journey and support you at your own pace.